Hello, I’m Sharon Carrigan.
I’ve been the Family Adviser at Manor Green School since it opened in 2010,transferring from Holyport Manor School where I’d worked since 1996.
I have three grown-up children, one of whom has ASD, so I have first-hand experience of the pride and joy (and trials and tribulations!) of being a parent. I’m now also very proud to be a granny, enjoying the wonders and pleasures of a whole new generation.
The role of Family Adviser was initially described to me as simply “being there” for the parents/carers and family of every student in the school so that’s where I’ve tried to be ever since. It’s not easy trying to raise a family and it can become even more of a challenge if one (or more) of your children has additional needs. There are times when we all need an extra bit of support and it’s helpful to know that there’s someone there just to talk to, to discuss issues with or to ask for advice. Please don’t hesitate to contact me and I’ll see what I can do to help. If I can’t, I’ll find someone who can. You can reach me via a message in your child’s home/school book, a phone call on the school number (extension 2008) or email:
· I’m happy to support you to liaise with other agencies, attend meetings with you or accompany you to appointments (diary permitting).
· Regular Friday Coffee & Chat mornings are held in the Parents’ Room offering a chance to catch up with other families and to take some time out in a supportive environment – plus cake!
· Manor Green School is also the venue for the Parents’ SHARE speaker sessions. Guests or representatives from other agencies, charities or organisations come in to discuss or provide information on a variety of topics - all chosen by you.
· I run Stepping Stones Triple P (Positive Parenting Programme for families with a child who has a disability) courses, which take place here in Manor Green School.
· The “Manor Green School Friends Association” (PTA) is also another way that you can become more involved in the daily life of the school.
Information about all of these events (and more) can be found on the school website and via the weekly news update email.